Saturday, November 26, 2005

Nov 22 Anniversary of Kennedy's Assissination

As mentioned in a previous entry, I wanted to post something on John F. Kennedy.  Just wanted to pause for a moment and remember him.  My daughter went to a high school named after him (I understand there are many).  My husband's birthday, Nov. 22, is the anniversary of the shooting, so we never forget it each year...he still remembers the day as do I..we were both in different Grade Schools.  I didn't see any mention of it this year on TV or hear anything on the news.  I hope we don't forget him.  It is not easy to be a leader and especially a young one like he was.   He was one of the most eloquent Presidents we have ever had.  I have always loved the quote:  "...Ask not what your country can do for you...ask what you can do for your country"....the spirit of this quote has always stayed with me.    Here is a pretty good link from Wikipedia that gives more details...   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F._Kennedy_assassination

Here is the link to his inaugaral address where he includes the famous lines:
And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.
and the less publicized:
My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.

http://www.classbrain.com/artteenst/publish/printer_102.shtml

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post but rest assured that there was a long documentary on President John F. Kenned's assination,  that I watched just the other day.  When this happened, I was abour 19 and was just  returning from my lunch break,  going up the stairs to the second floor when I heard a newcast over the stores  load speaker, they were announcing that President John F. Kennedy had be shot while riding in the motor  in Texas.  It seemed as if time stood still, as did all motion or movement in this building.  Everyone just stopped in their tracks, frozen in time, before the emotions poured forth.  Tears streamed down from everyone's faces, bewilderment, confusion  in everyone's eyes and voices and just like when John Lennon was shot it was almost as if THE MUSIC STOPPED and no one knew if it would ever start again. They kept the radio on so that everyone could be kept up dated on the news of President Kennedy and I believe before the day was over it was confirmed that he was dead.

I don't think I have ever felt anything like that again, except perhaps standing in front of the TV watching one air plane hit the Twin Towers and then seeing them filming another one coming that way and slamming into the other side of the building.  But that's another story, and even though we are stunned at first, life goes on, and we recover, but it is never forgotten, nor will he or all those others be either.

Marlene-PurelyPoetry
http://journals.aol.com/mkolasa101/PurelyPoetry