Thursday, September 20, 2007

Framing your outlook

Hello all!

The results are so much more interesting when I stop and think about how I want to frame my photos.  In this case I found a little row of trees whose leaves were touching each other making a perfect frame for a photo of the boats at the Elliot Bay Marina in Seattle.  I used to have a boss that always felt you needed a framework for what you did.  A way to put things into perspective.  I loved it. We always started our meetings with a high level purpose in mind and he would write them down because it was a way of framing the whole thing.  It helps people know where you were going and what you wanted to accomplish.  

By framing the photo here below you can see that I was walking along a path with trees planted alongside and that it's summer since the leaves are green.   My purpose is to show the boats from a different perspective than just the water and the marina.   I hope to get back there in the fall to take a similar shot when the leaves turn colors....then in the winter when they are gone.  This would mean some forethought and preplanning.   What do you know,  Fall is almost upon us.  Seasons changing can give us different frames for the same view.   Isn't nature grand?      Maria :)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photo. Blessings, Janie

Anonymous said...

You did an excellent job!  I just love Seattle and the area there.
http://boiseladie.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Great job and great explanation!

Nancy

Anonymous said...

This was framed beautifully.  I'm looking forward to seeing it again in its autumn garb. Very well done!  
I enjoy taking photos too but in an amateurish way.  I just point and click.  I shalll think more about it now.

Jeanie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/kirkbyj05/DaytoDayLifeintheLakes

Anonymous said...

This is lovely and a lesson learned ,I look forward to the Autumn one ..love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Beautiful picture!
Missie

Anonymous said...

beautiful!!
hugs
d

Anonymous said...

Yep, framing is a great tool to use when setting up a photograph.  It directs the eyes to what you are looking at, as well as providing a visual boundary to keep your eyes from coming out of the scene.  Good job!

Greg

Anonymous said...

amazing:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

love it!  good job.
gina

Anonymous said...

I love it!!
I try to use framing too when I remember.....
Hope you are able to get the shots with the changing seasons too... that would be neat....
Enjoy the day!
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

Ok miss talented photographer, this is one of your best shots.  Just love the water and the boats with all the masts.

Phil

Anonymous said...

 Love the picture and am looking forward to seeing it during different seasons.

         Julie

Anonymous said...

I like what you said about framing a picture adn I am going to go home and take some pics with that in mind
Marti