Monday, September 3, 2007

A Calla Lily Flourish for Ida

There are some people who enter your life and add a flourish that is  refreshing and energizing. 

Much like this photo of an elegantly twirled white calla lily. 

When they leave unexpectedly you feel the loss and wish that you could have spent more time with them.  Yesterday, Ida,  a friend in the neighborhood passed away from cancer.  She didn't battle it long.  A couple of months ago she found out about it and that  it had spread to her bones and liver.   She was such a trooper, so amazingly positive and strong minded even give her 65+ years of age.  She loved flowers and was always in her yard...it was and still is the best and prettiest yard in the neighborhood.   She had lots of friends and family over to visit and keep her company during these last few weeks. 

I had intentions of spending more time with Ida....I did not realize how quickly time was passing...and I did not spend near enough of my time since I was thinking I had plenty of it.   Nope,  that is one thing we don't have much of...time.  Give it where you can, make it count because it is precious as gold.   Think of how flowers bring beauty and how quickly they pass as a reminder to us to share our time before we or our loved ones fade.    

In the grander scheme of things we are all beautiful like the flowers and we quickly pass too...so let's live in the moment, remember to make time to enjoy the beauty of our friends and family before their flourishes are gone.   I'm glad I got to know Ida and can only hope that she was glad to have known me too.   What a wonderful lady she was to have known.  She flourishes in my memory and will live on.       Maria 

 

 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the reminder to say "I love you"while we can.
Marti

Anonymous said...

so sorry about your friend. the flower is beautiful. ((((hugs)))))
Cindy

Anonymous said...

 What a wonderful reminder and a beautiful flower.

                   Julie

Anonymous said...

what great memeories of your friend:) have a good week

Deb

Anonymous said...

Great entry. Clicked on aol main. You have very beautiful pictures. I have always thought life was like a rose... beautiful but ever so delicate. Wishing you a wonderful week. Janie

Anonymous said...

Beautiful entry through and through....bittersweet as well.   We all have "Ida's" in our lives..

The flower is beautiful.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

A lovely tribute to your friend ,beautiful Lily ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Calla Lily! Life is indeed delicate. I'm positive Ida knew how you felt about her. We tend to cherish the footprints left across our hearts, by those who shared part of themselves. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Soooo sorry to hear of your loss!  Hugs,TerryAnn

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful again....
http://boiseladie.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

it breaks my heart to think of loosing anyone. I want to hold the ones I love tightly. I found a letter I wrote to my aunt that I never mailed. She's dead...it was so sad.
Marti