Monday, May 21, 2007

It's all about SAM Olympic Sculpture Park

Hello, again!

This entry is all about the SAM Olympic Sculpture Park...the Seattle Art Museum Olympic Sculpture Park, that is to say.  Check out the website and click on the interactive feature..it's very well done.   I, at first, did not understand this art so much.  It seemed very non-esthetic to me...but I have to say I've gotten used to it and after driving by many times on my way back and forth to Ballard I stopped in to check it out.  

There is the rainbow wall, called the Seattle Cloud Cover, thru which you can see the space needle ...I'm sure I'm not the only one who has taken that perspective for a photo.  The & sign is interesting...meaning there is more and more to see or that after SAM there is more like the view of Puget Sound, maybe..?   Well, maybe if you don't go down and look at it closer...it is a series of benches and tables that say Love & Loss. hey, practical art...good one...  

The odd sculptures are both well done and strange to me.  The eyeballs on the sidewalk are actually benches too on the other side..which I liked.  I admire art that is both interesting and useful.   The giant eraser is a tough one but when I read about it, the article disclosed that the old style eraser reminded the Sponsor of this sculpture park of riding a bicycle with his hair blowing in the wind...I just can't get that image totally out of my mind. Although I do admit that the eraser brings back my college days of typing furiously to get a paper done on an electric typewriter.  This was before word processing..I had booboos to correct... but then I'm dating myself just a tad. 

The wavy rusty towering walls are quite a contrast to the shiny boxy art a little ways up the hill.  Of course I had to take a picture of the needle in the trees which were on the sculpture park property but I'm not sure it was really meant as part of the art experience.  There was a very nice green walking path that wound it's way through one part of the park. 

I didn't make it through the whole thing but you get the picture.  It was an experience I enjoyed, surprisingly.  I'd like to go back, soon.   I'm definitely getting used to it. The place really does grow on you.  :)

Maria

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome pics. Ty for sharing. ((((hugs))))))
Cindy

Anonymous said...

Very cool...I really enjoy sculpture parks...there's a couple of great ones around here.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Visiting your journal is like a breath of fresh air...I so love all the photos you share!  Hope you have a great week!  Hugs,TerryAnn

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing.
Missie