Monday, November 20, 2006

The Bazaar Experience - 1

Hi, again, journaler friends.   What compelled me to try out this Bazaar experience over the weekend?  It happened because 1) I built some inventory over the last few months just in case,  2) I saw a note in the Church bulletin looking for vendors for two different parishes....St. Francis and St. Philomena and 3) I took action and a chance.   It has been a passion of mine to take photos and perhaps take them to market.   That being a plan I did just that.  I learned some lessons.   I did not focus on a few themes...nor did I really understand the Bazaar market.   I sold mostly my cards and only a few framed photos.   I had such a mishmash of things....mostly flowers, some scenes and birds.  The cards are great but they are not a high dollar volume.  

I also found that talking to people was so much fun!  I enjoyed meeting new people and hearing their stories of their passions.....I began to think...wow....they are so much more focused...they sell in other venues and markets.   Got me to thinking that I should be more adventurous and try putting some of that Marketing degree that got me my full time job in Accounting to work...dust off the cobwebs.   Hard to do when you are still working fulltime.   I kept asking myself...what is my passion? Is it photographing roses?  Birds? Sunset/sunrises? Seattle skyline?  DesMoines Marina? Marinas?  WHAT IS IT?  No answer.....it's not just any one of those things...although each area attracts with intensity no single one is all encompassing.  

Oh yeah, and what about that Dulcimer thing?  I had it to play a tune if someone bought something from me....it didn't really help with sales just with having fun.  It was a kid magnet for sure.  A couple of kids really wanted to try it and it was kind of fun letting them.   Definitely got some practice and learned how stage frightened I get when I think about people watching me play.....it's darn heavy lugging it around though....I may need to buy a lighter one.  LOL...I ended up playing tunes for people even without purchases.  More to come on the lessons I learned about being clear about yourpassion and following it with focus in the next entry.....

Animation compliments of...you guessed it Donna at This and That and Hockey! Thanks, Donna!        Maria 

 

 

 

                                            Preview

Preview

Preview

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

^5 You go girl!!!! I realized I did not link your journal to mine....I just added!!! Was your show successful???
Betty

Anonymous said...

What a great inventory....love the layout!!!  Hugs and love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Your photos are beautiful. Around this area different people have booths in the malls at Christmas to sell their goodies. Wonder if that would work for you. Good luck! Helen

Anonymous said...

Great idea, lovely work.
I've been thinking about doing that myself.  I want to include art work too.
Have you tried Ebay?
Marie

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures!!!!  Thanks for sharing them. Sue (Deb's mom)

Anonymous said...

they are really some beautiful pictures. wonderful photography. i wish you the best of luck in your business. Happy thanksgiving. ((((hugs))))))
Cindy

Anonymous said...

Why does your passion have to be just one thing... I love all your pictures.... Good luck on your endeavor!!
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

Go for that degree I say.  Why not!  Take care and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Phil