Saturday, April 1, 2006

Tortugas or Turtles

Oh, I guess I am on a roll....here are two more pictures about my Ixtapa experience.  They had a conservation program there for turtles and one of the hotels had a little bin where turtle eggs were hatched. Then the little turtles were released throughout the weeks in late afternoon into the sea. Usually a group experience.  If you were wondering...the first picture is a cute sign about keeping the area clean....

The second picture is of a baby turtle or ,tortuga in Spanish, that the attendant brought out for me to take and release into the ocean on the beach.  It was so cute.  Usually they release more at a time but I guess I came on the wrong day.   We walked to the water and I laid the little squirt on the sand..it crawled it's way into the waves and swam away.  There were no birds around at that time so I'm hoping it did OK....lots of eggs are laid by the mommy turtles on the beaches at night during this time of year and then they swim off...talk about abandonment...I was so taken by this I came back the next day and helped release three more...but had used up all my digital photo space...however I did get them on my camcorder.

Maria

 

 

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet and interesting entry....Have a great weekend...Terryann

Anonymous said...

How cute:) what a great experiance

Deb

Anonymous said...

Great pix and thanks for sharing. That's about as close as I may ever get. LOL
Dianna

Anonymous said...

How very nice!!!! Cute little guy.
Betty

Anonymous said...

Oh...how cute he is ...hugs,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

wow, I love that little guy!  GBU, Shelly

Anonymous said...

He's too cute... I've seen them on PBS or something where all the turtles hatch and make a run for the ocean. Just amazing.
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

I went to a hatchery in Borneo and got to hold a hawksbill turtle, he was only four hours old! Also watched the big ones come up the beach and lay eggs, it was a wonderful experience. I posted an entry on it last August. Jeannette.  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels